Marcella Hazan’s famous tomato sauce recipe has been floating around the Internet for years and I do not know why the silly me took so long to make this sauce. Its bloody simple, needs three ingredients, a pot and half an hour.
This woman is brilliant. The tomato sauce is sweet, mellow and buttery. And I used it not just for pasta, I cooked vegetable stew with it too. My friend, Lynda heat the sauce up and used as a dip for her toast. We labelled this sauce as multi-purpose sauce.
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce (with Onion and Butter)
Adapted from Marcella Hazan’s Essentials of Italian Cooking
1) 28 ounces (800g) canned whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if possible. I don’t seem to be able to find them in Singapore so I used this brand called Cirio).
2) 70g unsalted butter
3) 1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
4) Salt to taste
- Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes.
- Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste.